Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Damn it's hot today. Then to Cass.

I have been so busy the last couple of weeks due to school and work I was glad to go to the farm and get down and sweaty. I would say the only thing I would have to complain about would be the heat today of working in the sun. Even when I had got there early this morning the heat was damn near unbearable. Anyways Greg and I were going to make raspberry vinaigrette this morning as well as much to my surprise that we were making a trip to the Wayne State University Farmer's Market. During us preparing the dressing Greg and I discussed the difficulties many of the cities urban farmers have in staying afloat in Detroit. He recently had problems with the city he explained to me.


I told him my opinion that the city of Detroit should be extremely open to any and all legitimate business wanting to open shop. Even though a majority of the cities residents do not want small and private entities coming into Detroit where all the profit is going to a small group of people. To me the city should disregard the opinions of it's citizens at this point because any body willing to come in and open business, especially a commercial farm, should welcome it. It would not surprise that there may be out there many potential movers/shakers who would like to invest in  Detroit but due to it's outdated rules. Something needs to happen now for the better of the city in all aspects. From generated tax revenue, employment, new industry, and finally beautifying Detroit. I would like to say that they are all important equally but it would not be true. I believe that Detroit will be successful, the city needs to be kind and open to it's pioneers. What do you readers think about urban farming taking on a capitalist approach for the better of Detroit? Also enjoy some of the photographs I had taken of the Wayne University Farmers Market thriving in beautiful but smoldering July.


1 comment:

  1. If anybody would like to reach/contact me directly to discuss I do have a facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=519375969

    ReplyDelete